If you want to give the best color to your car, then you need a solid air compressor that is able to deliver the airflow and pressure to your paint sprayer.
A good quality air compressor can prove to be much helpful for you as it is quite compatible with almost all the paint sprayers. This is how it gives you the quality to choose the type of sprayer that you like.
Finding the best air compressor for spray painting tasks is not that much easy. For this purpose, you need to analyze the product in-depth, so our experts decided to help you in this regard.
Best Air Compressor for Spray Painting Reviews
In this article, we have compiled a list of the 9 best air compressors for painting. Let’s take a look at them.
|1. Master Airbrush Dual Fan Air Compressor
|VIEW ON AMAZON
|2. Master Airbrush Multi-purpose
|VIEW ON AMAZON
|3. Porter Cable PXCMF220VW
|VIEW ON AMAZON
|4. TIMBERTECH Airbrush Kit
|VIEW ON AMAZON
|5. Master Airbrush Model TC-828
|VIEW ON AMAZON
|6. Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP
|VIEW ON AMAZON
|7. CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor (CMEC6150K)
|VIEW ON AMAZON
|8. DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor (DWFP55126)
|VIEW ON AMAZON
|9. VIVOHOME Airbrushing Paint Compressor Kit
|VIEW ON AMAZON
1. Master Airbrush Professional CoolRunner II Dual Fan Air Compressor
Starting today’s review on the best and cheap air compressor for spray painting is the Master Airbrush Professional CoolRunner II that is the smallest air compressor for painting, with the Capacity of 25 Liters . It contains a kit of the 3 most selling airbrushes that are user-friendly as well.
This air compressor delivers powerful performance due to its ⅕ hp single piston motor compressor that comes with an additional two cooling fans. In this way it allows it to run at a cooler temperature for a long and continuous time.
It has everything ranging from the compressor tanks to hosses, and as well as the brushes.
In the kit, you will find three brushes that are produced to benefit you in three different ways.
- first brush is a dual-action model with ⅓ ounce gravity feed.
- second one has 1/16 ounce of gravity feed.
- third one has 2 ¾ ounce gravity feed.
- It contains three master airbrushes
- It has a powerful ⅕ single piston compressor
- The compressor is equipped with two cooling fans to maintain the temperature.
- It comes at an affordable price
- It has 6 primary opaque colours with acrylic paint as well
2. Master Airbrush Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush
The second product on our list is the Master Airbrush Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush Kit with 6 Foot Hose and a Powerful 1/5hp Single Piston Quiet Air Compressor. This air compressor is highly affordable and also the smallest air compressor for painting.
This mini air compressor for painting arrives with a large kit and you can use it for airbrushing, decorating, and arts and crafts. The kit contains six colors of acrylic paint such as red, blue, green, yellow, white, and black. Moreover, this portable air compressor for painting is quite affordable, thats why it is a good choice.
It also consists of three airbrushes and each of them has painted inside a small cup. There is a little difference between the appearance, material, and nozzle size.
- It contains high precision air with a ⅓ Ounce gravity fluid cap and a 0.3mm fluid tip.
- The airbrush model has a ⅕ Hp air compressor with an air filter water trap as well.
- It also comes with a money back guarantee so that if you are not satisfied with the product you can return it.
3. Porter Cable PXCMF220VW 20-Gallon Portable Air Compressor
The next product on our list is the porter cable Vertical compressor.
The porter cable vertical compressor delivers a 5 CFM at 40 PSI that is no doubt much stronger. This product is well known in the industry because of its standard.
This best air compressor for painting cars at home because it comes with a regulator, gauges, and quick connect couplers so that you can get started and disconnected as easily and quickly as you need.
Also, in this price range, it is one of the best air compressors that you can wish for.
Also Read: How to Use Porter Cable Air Compressor
- It is certified from UL and CSA.
- Has an iron tank compressor that lasts for a long time.
- It runs 5 CFM at 40 PSI.
- Equipped with regulator, gauges, and quick connect.
- 20 gallon tank Air compressor/UL and CSA certified unit; Twin-V cast iron pump that is made up of steel.
4. TIMBERTECH Airbrush Kit, Multi-purpose Airbrush Compressor Set
The fourth product on our list is the timbertech airbrush kit. If you want to improve the overall performance of your airbrush then the Timbertech multi-purpose airbrush kit is a good option for you.
This smallest air compressor for painting arrives with a high-quality compressor and different parts that are designed for you to serve you with a good fit. The compressor holds three liters and it also has a regulator to control the flow.
Moreover, it has a powerful ⅙ HP compressor with an air pressure regulator as well. Let’s discuss its features in detail
- It has a powerful ⅙ HP compressor.
- The airbrush provides extra fine detail spray and it has a 0.2mm, 0.3mm to 0.5mm diameter.
- It is portable and lightweight
- The compressor has a built in carrying handle that helps you to carry it along.
- It is a great starter airbrush kit for airbrushing applications.
5. Master Airbrush Model TC-828, Twin Cylinder Piston Air Compressor
The fifth product on our list is the Master Airbrush Model TC-828, High-Performance Twin Cylinder Piston Air Compressor with Tank, and a Free 6 Inch Airbrush Hose is also a portable air compressor for painting. It is an excellent quality air compressor tool that can be used for a variety of tasks.
These tasks are mostly based on art and craft projects, automobile tanning, cake decoration, and sunless tanning, etc. It is a professional model that delivers a high performance resulting in quality workmanship. It is a studio-grade airbrush kit that is manufactured in China, with the best and most reliable materials. The air compressor is quiet enough and it delivers a ⅙ horsepower.
The second best thing about this air compressor for airbrush painting is that it delivers a high air volume of 1.6 CFM. The air compressor is composed of a twin-cylinder piston that makes it an excellent quality air compressor model. Also, it is the main reason why we added this product to our list.
When you order it you will get a free 6 inches nylon braided airbrush hose with standard fittings, as well as a high fitting and high-quality storage tank that contains an air regulator, gauge and water trap filter.
This unit is designed to be sleek and compact to use in studios, as well as it is lightweight too.
- This air compressor delivers a 46 litres of airflow per minute by allowing the user to run two airbrushes at a time.
- It has a double switch system that is fully automated. It works, when the compressor will turn on and when the air pressure gets down below at a pressure rate of 43 PSI, it will automatically shut off when the limit reaches 57 PSI. This feature is quite good as it helps your air compressor to work for a longer range.
- The second switch allows the compressor to reach the maximum pressure of almost about 85 PSI. There are a lot of safety valves that release the automatic letting out of excess pressure. If the unit starts heating then they are turned off automatically.
- It has a motor power of ⅙ Horsepower with a voltage of 110V to 120 V or 60 Hz.
- The factory preset pressure is about 57 PSI without the preset control of 85 PSI.
6. Makita MAC700 Big Bore 2.0 HP Air Compressor
The sixth product on our list is the Makita MAC700. It is a good air compressor that lies under the category of smallest air compressor for painting.
It has certain pecks and the tank size is small enough. This smallest air compressor for painting has a quiet and single cylinder compressor that fills up in a fast way. Certain reviews about this compressor revealed that it fills up in more than 2 minutes.
The Makita MAC700 has the ability to fill up in a less time period because it has a good type of pump associated with it and this is also a best air compressor for painting furniture.
The pump cylinder has a larger bore, larger piston to go with it, and the other pumps of the same class.
It is a little oiled compressor that is another reason why MAC700 runs in a silent manner.
The oil sight glass allows you to check the color and level of oil in the compressor. Besides its nature, the compressor provides the ideal pressure to help as a best air compressor for spray painting cars.
- It has a cast iron pump with a big bore cylinder and a piston that is combined with a greater bore and stroke. In this way, it delivers the maximum performance.
- It has lower noise levels. Besides the fact that the pump generates 1720 RPM’s or larger, it is a great initiative to provide such a low noise at this RPM.
- It has low amp draw reduces and incidences of tripped breakers and voltage drop that cause premature motor failure.
- The cooler running pump is oil lubricated.
- The best part is that it comes with a one year warranty.
7. CRAFTSMAN Air Compressor (CMEC6150K)
The seventh product on our list is the Craftsman Air Compressor, 6 gallon, Pancake, Oil free with a 13 piece accessory kit. Let me say it, if you are looking for the best and all-rounder air compressor for your painting tasks then this one is an ideal choice.
13 piece accessory kit is the best one and you can handle any of your projects by using it.
It delivers a max psi, high pressure, and a good run time so that you can gain a good amount of output with this extremely powerful device. It is made up of extremely solid cast iron which makes it rigid and a durable product to be added on our list.
This heavy duty construction allows you to hold a great amount of pressure so that you can perform the toughest jobs during your job and is good air compressor for painting cars.
The Craftsman Air Compressor, 6 gallon, Pancake, Oil free with a 13 piece accessory kit is a lightweight, and portable air compressor for painting used for small painting projects.
- It has a 6 gallon pancake shape tank that is portable air compressor for painting and is enough to stores a maximum amount of air in it.
- It is portable, lightweight and durable.
- The maximum PSI is 150.
- It provides you with a 13 inch accessory kit that contains 15 X ¼ inches PVC air hoses with coupler and plug assembled, tire chuck with plug and blow paint gun for air compressor with plug.
- It also comes with a 1 year limited warranty.
8. DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor (DWFP55126)
The eighth product on our list is the DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor, 6 Gallon, 165 PSI (DWFP55126) which is another great and affordable option.
It has a high flow regulator and couplers, this small pancake compressor can help you to get the most out of your tasks and paint sprayer using an air compressor even though it has a small air tank.
This product is made by the famous DEWALT and it is constructed of stainless steel that handles a quite bit of pressure. This is the reason why this is the best air compressor for beginners.
The best thing about it is that it is lightweight, and it is highly portable. Due to this great amount of portability, it is very stable as well.
Although, it is a low profile still you can use it for DIY projects in your home without any issue.
- It has 165 PSI, maximum and 2.6 SCFM is delivered at 90 PSI
- It has a pancake shaped 6 gallon tank.
- The high efficiency motor is good enough for easy start up in the cold weather or extension cord application.
- It has a power supply of 120V.
- The noise level is about 75.5 dBA.
9. VIVOHOME Airbrushing Paint Compressor Kit
The eighth product on our list is the Master Airbrush Multi-purpose Gravity Feed Dual-action Airbrush Kit with 6 Foot Hose and a Powerful 1/5hp Single Piston Quiet Air Compressor.
The compressor is quiet, around 40dB or less (at approximately normal conversation levels) and doesn’t emit any annoying nonstop noise . The air pressure is consistent and the airbrushes are quite nice too.
If you’re interested in getting into airbrushing models/miniatures , or something related, then this kit can assist you in your journey.
The only issue I have about the set is that the kit doesn’t include an airbrush container (used in cleaning the airbrushes). But that’s not a big deal… It’s really making a point here.
The package includes a gravity fed dual-action airbrush (you would like this) and the quiet compressor, the moisture trap ( you’ll require this) and a the hose, a pressure gauge to adjust psi, and a small stand to attach the compressor of your airbrush.
It doesn’t take up much space in the shop , and the pressure is adjustable from ZERO to nearly 37psi .. Continuous, however, it has a maximum speed of 40. Really, it’s a GREAT compressor and airbrush kit for the price.
It comes with a 6ft air hose as well as 3 airbrushes
At the price it’s worth it, you’ll want this. This compressor runs quietly and does not produce a constant sound. That means… when the compressor has reached its air capacity, it will cease to make noise and will idle (not shut off).
It’s great since it’s almost quiet. After you’ve used up all the air, it’ll begin to run again. This is a good thing since it doesn’t simply remain there, making loud noises. It doesn’t interfere with your airbrush’s work in any way.
This kit is great option for beginners about airbrush. But if you compare this kit other kits and steups similar to this on the price of this kit is significat high.
- Power: 1/5HP
- Suitable Airbrush Nozzle: 0.2-1.0mm
- Speed: 1450 speed/min for 50Hz, 1700 speed/min for 60Hz
- Auto Start Pressure: 3Bar/43Psi
- Auto Stop Pressure: 4Bar/57Psi
- Air Flow: 23-25L/min
- Adapter: 1/8BSP
- It can deliver continuous and powerful pressure.
- Much safer! Thermally protected! It will turn off automatically when the motor overheated.
- Comes with 3 kinds of airbrush that meet your needs
Buying Guide for Best Air Compressor for Spray Painting
Buying cheap air compressors for painting is not an easy task, there are a lot of factors that you should cover while selecting one. i.e what size air compressor for painting? For your ease, we have listed down the top things to consider while buying the right air compressor spray for painting cars, houses etc.
When it comes to choosing an air compressor for spray painting, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you get the right one for your needs. Here are some tips to help you choose the right air compressor for spray painting in 2023:
- CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute): CFM refers to the volume of air that an air compressor can deliver per minute. For spray painting, you’ll need an air compressor that can deliver a consistent and adequate CFM output to ensure a smooth and even finish. As a general rule, you’ll need an air compressor that can deliver at least 10 CFM at 90 PSI for spray painting.
- Tank Size: The size of the tank on your air compressor is important because it determines how long you can spray paint without having to stop and wait for the tank to refill. For spray painting, you’ll want a tank size of at least 30 gallons, although larger tanks are always better.
- Portability: If you plan on moving your air compressor around frequently, you’ll want to consider its weight, size, and portability features. Look for an air compressor with wheels and a handle for easy transport.
- Noise Level: Air compressors can be loud, so if you’re going to be using your air compressor in a residential area, you may want to consider a quieter model. Look for air compressors with lower decibel ratings to minimize noise pollution.
- Oil or Oil-Free: Air compressors can either be oil-lubricated or oil-free. Oil-lubricated compressors tend to be more durable and long-lasting, but they require regular maintenance. Oil-free compressors are more lightweight and easier to maintain, but they don’t last as long.
Here is what we believe are the most important factors to consider while choosing a good air compressor.
If you want an air compressor for DIY purposes then the tank should be smaller, lighter and easy to move. It should be compact, portable, and it should have a small footprint.
For other painting tasks, (large ones) you should look for a large, heavy, and high HP tank type.
PSI and CFM
The PSI and CFM are important factors to consider while buying an air compressor. Both should be of a medium range. But, if you get a higher CFM or PSI then it will be considered as a plus point.
Another important thing to consider is Horsepower. For most DIY and non-industrial air compressors, an HP of 1 to 2 is good enough, because the paint sprayers require 6 CFM and 30-40 PSI.
In short, 2 horsepower is ideal.
Noise and Noise Reduction
The compressor noise is an important environmental issue especially when you are working in small and closed areas. You should select the quiet air compressor for spray painting.
You will also find super silent air compressor but they are quite expensive and if you work in a quiet area then you can add sound dampers such as fiberglass insulation, mineral, wool, packed fiber. Here you can find easy ways on How to Make an Air Compressor Quiet.
Also, check for
- Intake silencer filters can silence air intake activity into inlet holes.
- Expansion chamber mufflers can also block air compressor sounds.
Think once about the other tasks that you will use this compressor for. You should check if your compressor is able to perform multiple tasks other than painting or not. This explains versatility.
By considering these factors, you can choose an air compressor that meets your needs and helps you achieve a smooth and even finish when spray painting.
I hope that you will enjoy our top 8 best air compressors for Spray painting. And, now you will be able to choose the best product for yourself from the list.
Still, if you have any questions then drop them down in the comments. Also, deliver your reviews about this post down below.